Our company has collected the most talented and skilled app designers and developers all over the USA. And so we have created a dream team, that helps small businesses and international brands with the realization of their big ideas.
As one of the leading software development companies, we always foster the enthusiasm of our team members encouraging them to realize their full potential. Whether we create iPhone or Android app, our programmers and designers combine the world-class design with empowering functionality converting the most challenging ideas into mobile and web apps. And based on our experienced we have learned a thing or two about UI/UX design which we would like to share with you.
What Role Does Design Play in Mobile Apps Success?
There exist numerous DIY platforms which enable businesses to create relatively cheap apps in less than an hour and with no coding skills. But forward-looking entrepreneurs will prefer to create a custom app with the help of professional app designers. Why so? First of all, the preference of the more expensive service can be rationalized with the insecurity and poor quality of the programs built with DIY (do-it-yourself) platforms. But the second reason is the template design. App creators preclude full customization and proper brand implementation. Tailor-made apps let businesses expand customers reach, increase brand awareness, and promote the product or service. Elegant interface with perfect icons and stunning visual elements can engage and retain the users, while dull and awkward UI with complicated navigation just frightens the customers.
How to Layout User Interface Design?
Experienced app designers create the interface look putting emphasis on the purpose of the program. Thus, enterprise-level utility app usually has some laconic and straightforward look to ensure concentration on work. And a customer-facing program is supposed to have some interactive visual elements to engage users and retain them. Nevertheless, there are universal design principles which are essential for intuitive and sleek UI design.
Consistency and User-Friendliness
The first thing the designer should do is to make sure that interface works consistently and intuitively. Concordant patterns ensure user-friendliness helping ordinary people to predict how to act in the new environment. To achieve this effect, designers use the same wording in labels and messages, one color scheme, and rational locations for buttons. It helps users to create a mental model of the program navigation map and its operations. Designers usually determine particular standards and stick to them to achieve consistency. It is important to ensure simple navigation between the screens; otherwise, consumers will become quickly frustrated and leave the app. The program will make sense to the user when its screen flow matches its workflow. The same it goes with the navigation within the screen, it ought to be organized in a familiar way. Logically connected items must be grouped together.
Simplicity and Visibility
The design is supposed to communicate in a simple and clear to the user language, providing good shortcuts, making long procedures and common tasks simple to do. All required materials for a given tasks must be visible, eliminating distracting elements with redundant information. Overwhelming details and alternatives can be confusing providing unneeded information. Creating a UI layout, designers should organize it purposefully, making it meaningful. The user interface look must be based on clarity allowing common people recognize its navigation and purpose easily.
Foresee Users’ Mistakes
Users are people who try your app out and can make accidental mistakes. For instance, they can unwittingly delete a file or leave the screen without saving, enter the wrong password or anything else. That is why app designers are supposed to foresee similar situation and help to prevent them and recover from this mistakes effortlessly. To avert forgetting to save files, designers can implement a pop-up. It will ask the user if he/she is sure that wants to leave without saving and so on depending on the app functionality. The design should inform people of their actions or interpret them, display the progress of their tasks, changes in the state or conditions, warn about exceptions and errors. In other words, it provides the feedback on the activity performed within the mobile application. It should be flexible and reducing the mistakes cost allowing to undoing and redoing some tasks and hence preventing from dramatical mistakes.
Content is Important
The primary source of information in the mobile app is a text displayed on the screen. The design is not only about the colors and shapes, but it is also about the message. The right interface emphasizes the key points. But the wording itself also matters. The text should be clear, concrete, laconic, and easy-to-understand. Designers should create positive messages and provide users with the feeling that they are in control. Don’t overload the screen with a huge amount of text unless you develop a publishing app with posts, articles, eMagazines and eBooks. Crowded screens are difficult to read and use. Using colors, designers make sure that the screen remains to be readable. They contrast a text to the background ensuring that background doesn’t interfere the reading.
Main Design Principles from iOS Developers
A website user interface and a mobile app UI are two different things. And there are different rules and principles which distinguish mobile interface from a desktop due to the smaller screen size and usability. Our designers always strive to adhere to them to achieve excellence in delivering unique and engaging user experience (UX). To enhance the usability and create an appealing mobile look, you should keep to the following principles:
- First of all, formatting the content the designer ought to consider its usability and convenience. The layout should fit the screen, unlike a website it must be more narrow so that people didn’t have to scroll it from left to right. The content also should be visible without zooming;
- To improve the interaction with the program and make it feels natural, designers use visual elements that are made for touch gestures. These elements on the computer and mobile devices differs as user don’t have a mouse working with touch screens their only tool is their fingers, and UI elements should be adjusted to this type of the interaction;
- Talking about the fingers as the tools which tap the screen to perform some action in the app, keep in mind that elements should be big enough to be easily and accurately tapped. Experts recommend to measure controls at least 44 points by 44 points, and as for text, then it should be at least 11 points. This sizes enables accuracy in interaction with the UI elements and eliminates the necessity to zoom the screen;
- The font color and the background shouldn’t get fused containing an ample contrast which ensures the legibility of the text. For a dark background, there must be chosen a light font color and vice versa. Text also shouldn’t be overlapped what can be improved with the suitable line height and letter spacing;
- One of the most common mistakes of the mobile app developers is the implementation of low-resolution versions of image assets. Even small-screen devices with high-DPI displays require high-resolution pictures. Due to the great pixel density image may look blurry. Besides, images should be displayed at their intended aspect ratio; otherwise, there may occur a distortion;
- Structurize the layout in an easy-to-read way putting controls near the content they interact with, create an order to avoid a mess. To illustrate how information is related to a picture or a button, align them to each other.
Android developers see the design as a language of visual elements that communicate with users. Google strives to create some classic principles which will help to define a good UI for Android devices bringing to the table possibilities of technologies, science, and innovation, which they call material design.
One of the basic theories in Android design guidelines is a material metaphor, which implies a system of motions and rationalized space. They see the material as a technologically advanced tactical reality which is open to the imagination with surface and edges. The familiarity of tactical attributes assists in the realization of affordances while its flexibility enables new opportunities that shouldn’t break the rules of physics, such as fundamentals of surface, light, and movement striving for natural behavior between objects and their interaction in space.
Bold, Graphic, Intentional
Android says that print-based design elements guide visual interactions. Such elements as grids, scale, color and other create a hierarchy, focus, and meaning. Graphic interface that can immerse the users is created with a deliberate color pattern, rich imagery, intentional white space, and large-scale typography. The core functionality of a mobile application should be emphasized with the reasoning of the user actions.
A designer should always keep in mind that users are the prime mover. Their actions initiate motions and transform the whole design. Objects should be presented to a user without breaking the continuity of experience as all user’s actions are taken in a single environment. Motions bear meaning so that they could fit the situation and serve to focus attention. The UI should provide clear feedback on people’s action making transitions coherent and efficient.
Android Design Guidelines
Altogether, Android offers freedom in the creation of the UI look and its customization, asking designers to focus on users’ needs and expectations, putting them in the center. According to Android recommendations, designers’ main tasks are:
- To attract customers with unusual solutions, freedom to personalization, and ability to manipulate visual objects instead of buttons;
- To simplifies their life with a pithiness, a usage of pictures instead of words, only the most necessary things in the content and interaction with the app. Let users be aware of their location in the app with different screens and make sure that their data is always saved and stored in a secure place;
- To surprise users with familiar behavior model, tips and support, and streamlined actions.
Work With the Best App Designers!
We are a web and mobile app design company that provides a full range of services from prototyping and development to marketing support and maintenance. We serve the U.S. and international customers delivering awesome apps with an outstanding look. Our app designers passionately strive to create the most advanced UX possible by implementing the latest mobile trends. We want to implement our expertise in app design of your future project and help you to gain valuable support for your business on the digital market. If you are interested in creating stunning mobile software, our team would be happy to make full use of our skills and experience to help you succeed.